Sunday, August 12, 2007

night one!

Last night was Uma's first night sleeping with me without the boob. She's no dummy, and has felt this coming for some time. The last few weeks, she's been totally unwilling to detach from me all night long as she is teething. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, ALL NIGHT LONG.
To her defense, she has broken 3 molars in the last few weeks as well as a few of her front teeth. These have been a LONG time coming.
I mean looooooooonggggggggg.
When I have unlatched, she lets out the fury of the homeland security. It wasn't pretty at all. But last night, after one night sleeping with Shanny, she seemed to know something was up, but her tantrum only lasted about fifteen minutes each of the two times she awoke searching for her favorite snack. That's nothing in Umaville!!!!
It was remarkable, really.
If I would have tape-recorded the wailings, it would have sounded like a demon child screaming "MAMA! MAMA!! MAMA!!! "
Arching her back, biting my shirt, kicking her legs- she'd make many a protester proud.
But I just laid there, trying not to feed into it, or make it better as that really only makes it worse.
And then she would collapse in utter exhaustion.
My little angel.
I don't expect tonight to be as easy.
Usually, just when she starts to get comfortable with a new routine (that she doesn't like),
she will acquiesce after the initial storm, and then light up the ammunition once again.
Hopefully, my little warrior will surrender......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Claire,
I'm so happy to see that you are blogging for yourself. I look forward to all the things that you post about the beautiful Uma. She is ssssoooo sweet!
I sure wish that I had a blog when my kids were small. It's such a release....I'm sure that all moms will find this a great outlet for all the 'loving' that is created by the little life that we have created.
Trust me when I say this, you will be 'loving' your little tsunami for the rest of your life. You will also be reasonably sleep deprived during that time as well. LOL! But, life with kids is great, isn't it!?!?
Keep going sister. Hang in there!It is all totally worth it on so many levels.
I feel like I'm getting a 'do-over' if you will with my lil' grand child the infamous 'Gianna'. She is a whirling dervish. A powerhouse of energy and bouncing bundle of love and joy continuously. Kind of replaces the 'empty nest' syndrome that I was beginning to feel. Geez, I'm know very careful what I wish for....lol
Big Giant Huggs for Uma and most especially for you. You are doing a GREAT job for which there is no manual.
Love Denise (Shanny's favorite sister!)