Tuesday, September 4, 2007

when it rains....

These last to weeks have a downpour of maladies. First there was my back and neck injury. Then I got a wild hair up my ass and I went to Bishops and got a bob (not a man, but a hairdo). I don't know what I was thinking.
Shortly after that, Uma and I went camping with some friends and I decided not to take my contacts out at night (dirty hands, no mirror or light) and I awoke to a nasty eye infection. After having a poor British girl drive my car home (on the wrong side of the street), I went to the Emergency room.
I looked like a celebrity afraid of being spotted- sunglasses, hat, downward cast eyes. I don't think I really smelled like a celebrity though.
The doc asked me on a scale of 1-10 what the pain was and I felt real comfortable saying a good 8.5, now that I've given labor. I spent two days living like veal to help my eyes heal and Uma was a great sport. My eyes healed but then I had a bob and glasses and I felt like such a Mom. My friends told me "no" but they always lie. First a Bob, then glasses, I had such an identity crisis.
But that was nothing to the next fun adventure-I took Uma to the Urgent Care the day after I emerged from the veal crate because she had a nasty cough that made her choke and quiver. We got antibiotics (which is what you get any time you go to Urgent Care) and they did nothing to help her at all.
I then went into hysterics thinking she had the WHOOPING COUGH, shitting my pants reading about all the worse case scenarios on the web. Note to all- do not look on the Internet trying to diagnose your loved ones. I called her naturopath and her pediatrician when the holiday weekend was over and the doc said it sounded like Walking Pneumonia. You can imagine how freaked out I was when Walking Pneumonia as a diagnosis actually relieved me.

More antibiotics and then tons of homeopathic cough expectorant, Emergen-C, Echinachea, Fish Oil, Probiotics, and pints of yogurt and she's still coughing a week later.
Oh yeah, and I was laid out with something fluish for two days on my ass, shooting pains in my ears, etc in the interim....I'm fine now.
They say it could be a few months until she stops coughing.
AY-CURAMBA!! It's so sad to see her- she's absolutely fine - her babbling dancing self until she coughs. She chokes and gasps and pukes........it's really horrible.
I'm going back tomorrow and demanding that they do blood tests to make sure she's okay.
My little muffin.
It's crazy to think that my ex-co-teachers these last few weeks have been gearing up for school. First day back for them all is tomorrow!!! If I had gone back this year, I would be such a mess already. Who knows if this all would have been happening as well, I don't pretend to understand the hands of fate. Of course, my new hairdo does look quite schoolish with my glasses.....

No comments: